Is hydrogen peroxide safe to use as a mouth wash?

A dentist may recommend using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide diluted with water to rinse your mouth to treat bleeding gums. However, it is best to check with your dentist before trying such a mixture or making it a part of your oral hygiene routine. Be especially careful when using hydrogen peroxide because high concentrations can be toxic and prolonged use could cause damage to the soft and hard tissue of the mouth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What are some over-the-counter oral hygiene products?
There are several over-the-counter oral hygiene products available to help keep your mouth clean and...
Can my toothpaste irritate my skin?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
There are so many different ingredients in most toothpastes that can cause skin irritation. It could...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?