How do I remove plaque from my teeth?

Plaque can be removed from the teeth by brushing and flossing. Brushing removes the plaque on the front, back, and top of the teeth. Flossing removes the plaque in between the teeth. 
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Meticulous brushing and cleaning in between your teeth are the best ways to remove plaque on a daily basis. Toothbrushing can be accomplished with either a manual or power brush.  If you have ever been told you need to 'brush better', a power brush may be for you. All you have to do is make sure you keep the bristles along the gum line; the brush will make the cleaning motion for you. Many power brushes have  timers and this can help you brush the recommended two minutes.

Brushing is not enough; you also need to clean inbetween teeth to thorougly remove plaque. Dental floss is the most recommended product by dental professional, but it requires a high level of dexterity and can be hard to do for many people. Fortunately there are other products available that have been clinicall shown to work as well or better than floss. These include floss holders, interdental brushes, and a Water Flosser.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics

Brushing and flossing won't do much in a battle against plaque if done poorly. In this video, dentist and prosthodontist Dr. Jonathan B. Levine details the proper technique necessary to preventing inflammation.

Plaque can be removed if you brush your teeth twice a day and floss (or use another between-the-teeth cleaner) daily. If plaque stays on teeth, it can harden into a rough surface called tartar. Tartar can only be removed when teeth are cleaned at the dental office.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What can I do to save my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The most important thing you can do to keep your teeth is to schedule regular dental visits and to a...
How do I keep my teeth healthy?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
While saliva is your body’s natural protective mechanism when it comes to your teeth, it still needs...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth