How do I maintain good oral hygiene?

You must practice proper brushing and flossing. The average American brushes for 38 seconds a day, but you really need to brush for about 2 minutes and also floss daily. See your oral health care provider to determine if you have too much plaque build up. You can also find out by chewing dental plaque disclosing tablets that can be ordered online.

Besides flossing and brushing, add this extra secret weapon: neem bark extract. Neem bark extract acts as an anti-inflammatory to prevent gum disease and can also be ordered online; take it in a cup of tea or simply dilute it in a little hot water once a day as part of your oral hygiene routine.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Carol Jahn
Dentist

Maintaining good oral hygiene requires tooth brushing and cleaning between your teeth. Both power and manual toothbrushes are effective especially the longer you brush. Most people underestimate the time they brush; 2 minutes is generally recommended. To clean between your teeth, there are many options; string floss, interproximal brushes, toothpicks, and a water flosser. There is no data showing floss is superior to these products. The best product is the one you like and can easily use on a daily basis.

The best way to maintain good oral hygiene by always brushing your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste, cleaning between your teeth once a day with floss and by eating a balanced diet and limiting between-meal snacks. 

Your mouth is a window into the health of your body. It can show signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection. Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first become apparent because of mouth lesions or other oral problems. Don't forget to schedule regular dental check-ups to keep your smile, and yourself, healthy.

In addition to the previous answers, oral rinses are a good adjunct (not substitute), too. Non-alcohol containing rinses are recommended. Furthermore, limit the amount of sodas (acidity), and sugar (cavities) in your diet. That's very important for overall health as well. It is very important the method and technique used while brushing. Remember to brush all surfaces of your teeth, including, gently 'massaging' the tooth-gum interface while brushing. 2 minutes, twice a day is recommended. Section your mouth in 30 seconds for upper right/upper left/lower right/lower left instead of just brushing randomly everywhere.

You can maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing your teeth daily. Your main objective is to remove plaque, a sticky film of bacteria and food particles that builds up on teeth. Plaque can lead to cavities as well as gum disease. It's also important to see your dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups.

Don't smoke or chew tobacco, and inspect your mouth regularly for sores that don’t heal. If you spot a problem, call your dentist.
Good oral hygiene is accomplished with the proper use of the toothbrush, floss, interproximal cleaning devices and mouth rinses. When effective oral hygiene is performed, restorations, bridges and dentures can often be maintained for longer periods of time, potential for recurrent decay decreases, and your systemic health can be improved.

Each person is different but brushing and flossing at least twice a day is essential for achieving and maintaining good oral hygiene status. In addition, use of interproximal cleaning devices such as Soft Picks and an appropriate mouth rinse is also very important.

The specific techniques for the use of oral hygiene tools can be found on the website of the American Dental Association. When a person practices good oral hygiene, the teeth will be clean and free of plaque, gums will be uninflamed, pink and healthy and the entire mouth will appear in a good state of health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What type of toothpaste or mouthwash should I use?
Many types of toothpastes line the store shelves. Some say they're made for whitening, others for re...
How can I avoid teeth stains?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
To avoid teeth stains: Have a glass of water nearby when you're drinking wine or coffee. After e...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?