Can I add years to my life by taking care of my teeth?

Heart disease can be caused by not flossing your teeth - how many years can you add to your life by taking care of your teeth?

Watch the video to find out from Dr. Oz how many years you can add to your life by taking care of your teeth.

Good oral health is a big part of being healthy overall. Maintaining good oral health habits now is especially important because unhealthy bacteria in the mouth not only can harm your teeth and gums but also may be associated with serious medical conditions. Research has shown that infections in the mouth may be associated with heart disease, stroke, diabetes, pneumonia and other health problems that are common in older adults. Always be sure to brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes with fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, eat a balanced meal and schedule regular dental visits.

Good oral habits, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing at least once a day, can help you stay healthy. Some studies have found that there is a connection between heart disease and the bacteria that live in your mouth. Researchers think that this oral bacteria can lead to inflammation not just in your mouth, but in your blood vessels as well. By brushing and flossing thoroughly and consistently, you may be lowering your risk for heart disease, stroke, and atherosclerosis -- which could mean you are adding years to your life.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What are ways of maintaining a whitened smile?
Once you've whitened your smile, you can help keep it bright for one to three years by:Practicing go...
Do I still need to brush my teeth if they are white?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
White teeth don't equal a healthy mouth. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why brushing your...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth