Are there different types of dental floss?

Todd A. Welch, DMD
Periodontics
Dental floss is made of either a bundle of thin nylon filaments or a plastic (Teflon or polyethylene) ribbon used to remove food and dental plaque from teeth. The floss is gently inserted between the teeth and scraped along the teeth sides, especially close to the gums. Dental floss may be flavored or unflavored, and waxed or unwaxed. An alternative tool to achieve the same effect is the interdental brush.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
No only are their different types of floss, there are different ways to floss or clean between your teeth. If you struggle with traditional string floss, you might consider trying a floss holder, toothpick, interproximal brush or a Water Flosser. The Water Flosser has been shown to be an easy and effective alternative to string floss for improving gum health.
People who have difficulty handling dental floss may prefer to use another kind of interdental cleaner such as special brushes. If you use interdental cleaners, ask your dentist how to use them properly to avoid injuring your gums. Talk to your dentist about what types of oral care products will be most effective for you.

Flossing is an essential part of any oral health care routine. It helps remove plaque from between your teeth, in areas that the toothbrush can't reach, and it helps prevent gum disease and dental decay. 
There are several types of dental floss to choose from, depending on spacing of teeth and any pre-existing dental work such as braces. The two main types of dental floss are waxed and unwaxed. Unwaxed floss is thinner than waxed floss. Dental tape is a wider form of dental floss often used when teeth are spaced further apart.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
Why should I brush and floss my teeth?
George T. Felt, DDSGeorge T. Felt, DDS
Brushing cleans your teeth so you look better and feel better about yourself. If you don't brush you...
Can I add years to my life by taking care of my teeth?
Good oral habits, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing at least once a da...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?