How abrasive should my toothpaste be?

Most toothpastes contain mild abrasives, which are substances designed to remove debris from your teeth and also scrub off surface stains. But overly abrasive toothpastes can damage teeth. Some whitening toothpastes contain materials that may be too abrasive for your teeth. Ask your dentist for a recommendation before making a decision on whether to buy a whitening toothpaste and which one to buy.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Toothpastes are measured by their relative dentin abrasivity, or RDA (not to be confused with the other RDA, recommended dietary allowances). Check out how yours stacks up against the rest. The thing to notice here is that, just as you don’t want a toothbrush with bristles that are too coarse, you don’t want your toothpaste to be highly abrasive. Most professionals recommend using one with a low RDA rating, especially if your teeth are sensitive.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How do I prevent bacteria growth on my toothbrush?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Store the brush in an upright position if possible and allow it to air dry until using it again. Do ...
Why is it important to prevent plaque and tartar?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Plaque contains hundreds of bacteria. With regular dental cleanings and good oral hygiene, plaque st...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth