What is balloon sinuplasty?

Many allergy sufferers also end up fighting chronic sinusitis. This happens because the paranasal sinuses are blocked and when the mucus can't flow, it can cause an infection in those sinuses, which is sinusitis.

The first-line treatment for sinusitis is antibiotics to kill the bacteria. If you continue to get sinus infections, then surgery is necessary.

Balloon sinuplasty is a procedure that uses a balloon to make changes to the sinus openings without cutting them. Doctors get the sinuses open so they can drain properly and not get stopped up again. With this proceudre, recovery time is probably 25 percent of what it used to be.

Balloon sinuplasty is a surgical procedure that allows the sinuses to open and drain. This effective procedure means fewer infections with easier recovery.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

Why is my sense of smell so sensitive?
A person's nose can detect up to 10,000 smells, without being smell-sensitive. In this video, Dr...
Is there anything I can do as a WisePatient to prevent sinus complications?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Pay attention to your sinus symptoms and take preventive steps like doing an saline wash, says S...
Why are boogers sticky?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Obviously, your child is starting a long and brilliant scientific career with this question!"Boogers...
What is surgical septoplasty?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A surgical septoplasty is useful for realignment of the midline structures of the internal nose. The...