If you stop smoking can the hair cells in the nose grow back?

Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Hair cells in the nose don’t grow back after patients stop smoking. Watch sinus surgeon Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, explain how these cells get some function back and how quitting smoking helps decrease sinus problems.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

Why is my sense of smell so sensitive?
A person's nose can detect up to 10,000 smells, without being smell-sensitive. In this video, Dr...
What is surgical septoplasty?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A surgical septoplasty is useful for realignment of the midline structures of the internal nose. The...
Is it dangerous to pull out nose hairs?
Yes, pulling nose hairs can be as bad for your brain as it is for your dating life. The danger is th...
How can I help avoid sinus problems?
Try the following to avoid sinus problems: Bathe your nasal passages daily. Use a small pot or s...