How can sharing my goals and resolutions help my child set his?

Judy Caplan
Children learn planning, organizing, and goal setting by watching their parents. Telling your child about your resolution gives life to your goals. It is not necessarily your specific goals that help your child set his or her goals but rather understanding the process of change. Goals can often be a family affair when it comes to ones that benefit everybody. Creating a healthier home, eating healthier meals, and moving more are all good family goals. Within these broad goals, children can identify specific actions they can take to meet their individual goals.
Michele Borba
To help children feel comfortable talking about goals, we parents need to share our own aspirations and New Years Resolutions. Take time to share a few of your dreams and wishes and the resolution you plan to set for yourself: losing those extra pounds, learning to text, finally reading and finishing Moby Dick, taking that gourmet cooking class. The secret is to purposefully model goal-setting when your kids can watch or listen. In fact, modeling is such a simple way to learn the skill.

Continue Learning about Healthy Resolutions