Are all resolutions to lose weight successful?

Judy Caplan
Unfortunately not. Change is difficult even for the most well intentioned. It is easy to make pronouncements that you will or will not do something but it is difficult to stick to them when it takes work. You have to really desire the outcome that you want to see happen. Everything you do has to be in sync with your goals. If you want to lose weight you will have to identify the actions you need to do in order to see results. Packing lunch, stocking the refrigerator with healthy, low calorie foods, committing to daily exercise can all lead to success. Wishing and hoping don't work. Actions are what count.

Of course not, because not all commitment levels to anything are the same but I will tell you that everyone can lose weight and everyone could relatively simply lose weight. Weight loss is about consistent commitment to small goals everyday. It is about consistency. You must consistently eat less than your body needs on a daily basis for a long enough period of time to lose the weight that you feel you need to lose. When everything is right on track you will lose on average of one pound per week.

Deborah L. Neiman, MD
Unfortunately, as much as we would like to be able to say yes, it is not the case and most resolutions to lose weight do not result in successful weight loss. Most of the time, this occurs because the weight loss expectations are not reasonable -- you may want to lose 10 pounds in your first month or 5 pounds every week. Another words, people tend to make resolutions and are somewhat inpatient in getting them accomplished. Because weight loss is time consuming and takes a great deal of focus, it is not easy and sticking to one's resolution means that you have to accept that you will have good days and bad days as well as good weeks and bad weeks. The key is to keep focused and to keep your goals in front of you.

The best way for successful weight loss resolutions is to try and be realistic and set your goal at 10% of body weight loss in one year -- this is often easily attainable and reasonable and most importantly, can make you a New Year's Resolution success!
No. New Year's Resolution statistics reveal 75% of people keep their resolution after the first week. After two weeks, 71% are still on the wagon. After a month, 64% have kept their New Year's Resolution. By six months 46% are still keeping true to their resolution(s).

Tips for achieving New Year’s Resolutions
  • Make only one resolution -- Success is greater when people channel their energy into changing just one aspect of their behavior.
  • Plan ahead -- Don't wait until New Year's Eve to think about your resolution. 
  • Make it personal -- Don’t run with the crowd and go with the usual resolutions. Instead think about what you really want out of a healthy or fitness related lifestyle. 
  • Be specific -- Think through exactly what you are going to do, where you are going to do it, and at what time. For example, instead of saying that you will go running two days of the week, tell yourself that you will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5 pm. Instead of saying "lose weight" be specific on how much weight, and how you will do it -- visiting a nutritionist, or a Weight Loss center like Weight Watchers to put you on a nutrition plan.
  • Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals. Focus on creating goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time based (SMART). For example, instead of thinking ‘I want to lose weight’, focus on creating bite-sized, measurable goals for each week, such as have nutritionist or weight loss center create nutrition plan, clean out the cupboards of all unhealthy foods and replace them with fruits and vegetables. Or visit local gym/fitness center and have them tailor a fitness plan for me. Walk 2 -3 days per week instead of watching TV, etc. Map out the step-by-step mini-goals that will slowly but surely take you to where you want to be, make a note of them in a diary, and stick to the plan.
Instead of asking, "Are all resolutions to lose weight successful?" ask, "How much fun will it be to meet and exceed my New Year weight loss goals!"

Continue Learning about Healthy Resolutions

Revising Your Resolutions
Revising Your Resolutions
New Year’s resolutions are like a soufflé -- they go flat really fast. That’s because they tend to be undoable or just unfortunate. (We’re sorry Jose ...
Should I tell people about my New Year's resolution?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
You bet! Research demonstrates that a public commitment is more effective than a private declara...
Resolutions That Make Your RealAge Younger
Resolutions That Make Your RealAge YoungerResolutions That Make Your RealAge YoungerResolutions That Make Your RealAge YoungerResolutions That Make Your RealAge Younger
Live longer with these five healthy New Year's resolutions.
HMSA and Blue Zones Project Launch 3 New Hawai’I Communities