How true is it that older siblings have higher IQs?

Michele Borba
Firstborn sons have higher IQs than their younger brothers because of how they are raised. It is NOT genetics!

In a study lead by a psychologist, Petter Kristensen, researchers took a decade to meticulously analyze IQ scores of 250,000 men. All the men took the IQ test when they were 18 or 19 years old and were required to do so as draftees entering the Norwegian army. Though no women were involved in the study, the researchers contend that the same results would happen for women. (I know, I know. Another study that assumes that women are going to turn out the same as men….but….)

Results found that the oldest child is smarter than next oldest sibling by an average of 2.3 points, who is turn beat the third-born brother by 1.1 points. But here is the fascinating detail: If the eldest child dies, the second sibling becomes the smartest one.

That means it’s not just birth order or the gene pool that’s boosting those IQ points. The dynamics in the family and how the first born kid is treated in that home environment plays a key role.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

How do creativity and imagination figure into genius?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Geniuses tend not only to be exceptionally smart but to use imagination and creativity to invent, di...
What are some natural ways to increase your brain's serotonin level?
Although some prescription drugs are prescribed to elevate serotonin levels by blocking degradation ...
Is using a GPS all the time a good thing to do?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Using a GPS all the time may cause you to lose brain power. Watch my video to learn more about using...
What is the brain's role in genius?
Brain is everything. It collects information, processes it, colors it, places it in context with pas...