Why is our internal electrical system so vital?

We need the electricity in our body to survive. Electrical signals are super fast. They allow a nearly instantaneous ability to control messages. If our bodies had to rely on the movement of chemicals to direct our hearts to speed up when something was chasing us, the human race probably would have died out a long, long time ago.

The signals that tell our hearts to speed up when danger lurks come from a mass of cells in our hearts known as the sinoatrial node, or SA node. The SA node, in the right atrium, controls the rhythm of our heartbeat and directs the movement of blood from the heart to everywhere else in our body. The SA node is our body's natural pacemaker, using electrical signals to set the pace.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

How do creativity and imagination figure into genius?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Geniuses tend not only to be exceptionally smart but to use imagination and creativity to invent, di...
What is the brain's role in genius?
Brain is everything. It collects information, processes it, colors it, places it in context with pas...
Is most of my body heat lost through my head?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Moms for years have urged children to wear hats in the winter to keep warm, and even a U.S. Army man...
What is BDNF?
A neurochemical that plays a significant role in memory is called brain-derived neurotrophic fact...