Why is our internal electrical system so vital?

We need the electricity in our body to survive. Electrical signals are super fast. They allow a nearly instantaneous ability to control messages. If our bodies had to rely on the movement of chemicals to direct our hearts to speed up when something was chasing us, the human race probably would have died out a long, long time ago.

The signals that tell our hearts to speed up when danger lurks come from a mass of cells in our hearts known as the sinoatrial node, or SA node. The SA node, in the right atrium, controls the rhythm of our heartbeat and directs the movement of blood from the heart to everywhere else in our body. The SA node is our body's natural pacemaker, using electrical signals to set the pace.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

Why do I shiver when I'm cold?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Shivering is the body’s way of keeping your body temperature from becoming too low. The most efficie...
Is there a link between insanity and genius?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Obviously, we cannot perform psychological exams on people who died ages ago, but that has not stopp...
What is a conditioned stimulus?
A conditioned stimulus is a situation in which one signal, or stimulus, is given just before another...
How does shaking my body keep my brain healthy?
AARPAARP
Research shows that gentle bouncing of your knees and shaking out of your limbs reduces cortisol, th...