What are some natural ways to increase your brain's serotonin level?

Although some prescription drugs are prescribed to elevate serotonin levels by blocking degradation or inactivation of this neurotransmitter, natural methods-relaxation techniques and eating so-called happy foods, including turkey and chocolate-can achieve the same effect.

Chocolate also releases another feel-good hormone called dopamine. Because of that release, people crave the feel-good and can become addicted, much in the same way people can get addicted to caffeine or nicotine.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

How does shaking my body keep my brain healthy?
AARPAARP
Research shows that gentle bouncing of your knees and shaking out of your limbs reduces cortisol, th...
Why do I shiver when I'm cold?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Shivering is the body’s way of keeping your body temperature from becoming too low. The most efficie...
How true is it that older siblings have higher IQs?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Firstborn sons have higher IQs than their younger brothers because of how they are raised. It is...
How does intelligence relate to genius?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Many educators and researchers believe that, generally, standardized IQ tests accurately predict how...