How does the human nervous system develop?

The human nervous system develops from a small, specialized plate of cells along the back of an embryo. Early in development, the edges of this plate begin to curl up toward each other, creating the neural tube-a narrow sheath that closes to form the brain and spinal cord of the embryo. As development progresses, the top of the tube forms the brain, while the remainder forms the spinal cord. This process is usually complete by the 28th day of pregnancy. However, problems occurring during this process can result in brain disorders called neural tube defects, which include spina bifida.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

What is a conditioned stimulus?
A conditioned stimulus is a situation in which one signal, or stimulus, is given just before another...
Why is our internal electrical system so vital?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
We need the electricity in our body to survive. Electrical signals are super fast. They allow a near...
What sets humans apart from other species?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The cerebral cortex is what separates human beings from other species. It regulates language and int...
Why is it important to my brain for me to avoid high blood pressure?
Your blood feeds your brain nutrients. No nutrients, no brain. No brain, no Super Bowl party this ye...