How do free radicals cause damage to cells?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Our cells generate highly reactive, terribly destructive entities known as free radicals. Free radicals are unstable because they have an unpaired electron, a negatively charged particle. As in many aspects of nature, most things are happy and stable when paired up. Free radicals sneak around looking for an electron pair and cause serious damage by stealing electrons from various parts of cells in nearly every tissue in the body.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

What is the brain's role in genius?
Brain is everything. It collects information, processes it, colors it, places it in context with pas...
How can pleasure motivate me to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Dopamine is released when you do things you simply enjoy, such as painting a picture, reading a good...
Is most of my body heat lost through my head?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Moms for years have urged children to wear hats in the winter to keep warm, and even a U.S. Army man...
What sets humans apart from other species?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The cerebral cortex is what separates human beings from other species. It regulates language and int...