Why is it important to my brain for me to avoid high blood pressure?

Your blood feeds your brain nutrients. No nutrients, no brain. No brain, no Super Bowl party this year. So one of your big goals should be to keep your arteries clear and flowing. Reducing high blood pressure to normal improves cognitive function and slows Alzheimer's progression substantially. If you have a diastolic blood pressure of over 90 mm/Hg (that's the bottom number), then you have a five times greater risk of getting dementia two decades down the line than if it's below 90 mm/Hg.

If you have elevated blood pressure, it may be because your arteries are constricted, often as a result of cholesterol plaques, and limit the amount of blood and nutrients that reach a particular area. In the case of the brain, not having sufficient blood supplied to that watershed area between the two main arteries is what elevates the risk of stroke.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Nervous System

How true is it that older siblings have higher IQs?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Firstborn sons have higher IQs than their younger brothers because of how they are raised. It is...
What can I do to improve brain function?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
Here are some ways to challenge your brain in order to improve its function:learn a new languagetake...
How do free radicals cause damage to cells?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Our cells generate highly reactive, terribly destructive entities known as free radicals. Free rad...
Why is our internal electrical system so vital?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
We need the electricity in our body to survive. Electrical signals are super fast. They allow a near...