What is a hangnail?

A hangnail is a torn piece of skin at the edge of your fingernail. While it's usually a small injury, it can bleed and become very painful. If you have a hangnail, don't tear the skin. Instead, wash your hands and cut the torn piece of skin off carefully with clean scissors or nail clippers. You can care for it like you would care for any other small cut, using antibiotic cream and a small bandage. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days, call your doctor or a dermatologist. Be sure to keep the area clean and dry as it heals, as this type of cut can raise your risk for a more serious skin infection.
what is a hangnail

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What are the main characteristics of poor nail health?
Poor nail health can cause a number of changes to your nails, from small white spots to dark, de...
How can I tell if I have healthy fingernails?
Healthy fingernails should be smooth on the surface, free of pitting and excess thickness. There...
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?