Is nail polish bad for me?

In fact, nail polish is likely the most toxic cosmetic there is. Polish includes poisonous substances such as formaldehyde, phthalates, acetone, toluene, and benzophenones.

Phthalates, solvents for colors, are toxic to the nervous system; acetone and toluene, which keep the color in liquid form, evaporate quickly and fill the air with noxious fumes, putting your respiratory system at risk. The other substance we fingered, benzophenones, may cause cancer.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

How can I protect myself from dirty nail salons?
Nail salons can be dirty places with lots of health hazards. Learn how to protect yourself as Dr. Oz...
Why is painting your nails an unhealthy idea?
It's not clear that painting your nails is unhealthy, though some experts have raised concerns a...
Are There Products I Shouldn't Use On My Fingernails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?