How can I protect my nails to keep them healthy?

The best way to protect nails and keep them healthy is not to do too much to them. Keep them trimmed to a length of just beyond the tips of your fingers and toes. Avoid using polish removers more than once a week. Wear gloves when doing chores or tasks that could expose your nails to breakage or harsh chemicals. Don’t use your nails as tools, and don’t pick or bite your nails or the skin around them. Applying olive oil, petroleum jelly, or hand creams before going to bed at night will help keep your nails hydrated and less likely to split. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

Healthy Nails

Healthy Nails

For healthy fingernails, pamper them daily with a gentle buffing or a massage. This increases circulation to the nails, keeping them from cracking and peeling. Rubbing petroleum jelly, vitamin E or a cuticle cream into the cuticle...

s at night will keep them moisturized and also promote nail strength. Wear gloves when washing dishes or cleaning to prevent nails from becoming brittle, and don't use nail polish remover that contains formaldehyde or acetone, both of which are drying.