What are some home remedies for keeping nails healthy?

Experts recommend the following steps you can take at home to help keep your nails healthy:
  • Keep your nails clean and dry to help avoid bacterial or fungal infections.
  • Trim your nails properly. Fingernails should be cut straight across and slightly rounded in the center, while toenails should be cut straight across and even with the end of your toe. 
  • Wear shoes that fit well (not too tight and not too loose).
  • Moisturize your nails and cuticles when you moisturize your hands and feet. 
  • Don't bite or pick at your nails.
Be on the lookout for changes in your nail health and discuss any changes with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What is the best way to clip my nails?
Clipping the nails properly is important for the health of the nail and skin around it. Learn mo...
How do I get my child to stop picking at her nails?
It can be difficult to coax a child to drop a habit like picking her nails. Sometimes kids abandon s...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Are There Products I Shouldn't Use On My Fingernails?