What does a healthy nail look like?

A healthy, normal nail is smooth, without ridges or grooves (although these are often normal variants). Ideally, all the nails are uniform in color and consistency and free of spots or discoloration.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...
A healthy nail is smooth and consistent in color. To keep nails healthy, make sure they are trimmed, clean and dry. White spots on nails are harmless, as are vertical ridges. But if your nails are discolored, or become thicker or thinner, or change in shape, make an appointment with your primary care doctor or dermatologist. These changes may signal a medical condition. If the skin around your nails becomes swollen, or if you experience bleeding or pain, you may have an infection, and should consult your doctor. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

How can I make my toenails grow faster?
How fast your nails grow is determined by several factors, including age, genetics, diet, and ph...
Is nail polish bad for me?
In fact, nail polish is likely the most toxic cosmetic there is. Polish includes poisonous substance...
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?