What does a healthy nail look like?

A healthy nail is smooth and consistent in color. To keep nails healthy, make sure they are trimmed, clean and dry. White spots on nails are harmless, as are vertical ridges. But if your nails are discolored, or become thicker or thinner, or change in shape, make an appointment with your primary care doctor or dermatologist. These changes may signal a medical condition. If the skin around your nails becomes swollen, or if you experience bleeding or pain, you may have an infection, and should consult your doctor. 

A healthy, normal nail is smooth, without ridges or grooves (although these are often normal variants). Ideally, all the nails are uniform in color and consistency and free of spots or discoloration.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What are my options for fake nails?
Fake nails vary according to size and material. You can ask for artificial tips that just cover the ...
What is the best way to clip my nails?
Clipping the nails properly is important for the health of the nail and skin around it. Learn mo...
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?