Why are the kidneys so important to good health?

Your kidneys do some important jobs to keep your body healthy. They:
  • Balance your body fluids. Excess fluid is filtered out of your blood, and it leaves your body as urine. Your kidneys make about one to two quarts of urine a day.
  • Regulate body water and important minerals in your blood, such as sodium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium.
  • Remove waste products from your blood. These waste products come from the breakdown of foods you eat and from normal muscle activity.
  • Remove drugs and toxins from your body.
  • Release hormones into your blood, which control blood pressure, make red blood cells and keep your bones healthy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

A Tangy Treat That's Good for Your Bladder
Here's a diet "do" that may help keep your bladder cancer-free. Start your day with some yogurt. Later, have some more for a snack. Compared with thei...
Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
How does the bladder work?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The bladder is like a balloon—it’s small when empty, but as it fills with urine, it gets bigger and ...
How can I keep my kidneys healthy?
Living a healthy lifestyle is important for kidney health. Medical conditions such as diabetes, high...