What are the symptoms of overactive bladder?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several symptoms associated with overactive bladder. You may feel a strong need to use the bathroom that comes on suddenly. Sometimes, you may actually leak urine. You may urinate more often than usual. In fact, you may need to urinate more than eight times per day. Your symptoms may even cause you to wake up during the night to run to the bathroom.

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The most prevalent symptom of urge incontinence is the sudden, unpredictable need or urge to urinate, often resulting in the loss of urine (to a lesser or greater degree) for no apparent reason whatsoever.

You may feel the need to void, or void involuntary when:

1. You are sleeping

2. You drink water

3. You touch water (doing the dishes or the wash)

4. You hear water running (when someone is doing the dishes)

5. You are exposed to cold

6. You hurry home, and no sooner than you use your key (or garage door
    opener), you begin to leak urine. This last situation is commonly
    referred to as “key-in-lock” syndrome.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
When the mercury starts to dip, warm up your insides with an all-bean chili. Your kidneys will be happier. Why? Because all beans means no meat -- an...
How can I get my child to drink more water?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Drinking water is important, but how do you get kids to drink more water? Parents can send a water b...
What does it mean if I test positive for protein in my urine?
Proteinuria is the presence of large amounts of protein in the urine. The kidneys remove waste from ...