How can weight affect urination in men?

Jesse N. Mills, MD
Urology
The more a man weighs, the worse the problems with urination.  (The same is true for women.) Too much weight around your abdomen pushes down on the bladder and can signal the need to go more frequently. If you lose belly fat- which is bad for the heart, bad for your gut, bad for your erections and bad for your prostate- you're probably going to have an easier time urinating. You may be able to sleep better. You may not have to get up as often to urinate at night. Weight loss, in general, can improve the symptoms of a benign growth of the prostate or BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia).

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

What Color Should Your Urine Be?
What Color Should Your Urine Be?
Did you know that every time you pee, your urine gives important clues about your overall health? "The healthiest urine color is clear,” says Jamison ...
Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
What does it mean if I test positive for protein in my urine?
Pat BearePat Beare
Proteinuria is the presence of large amounts of protein in the urine. The kidneys remove waste from ...
What function do the kidneys perform?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The kidneys are small organs that filter and remove waste from your blood. Our kidneys also maintain...