How can I keep my kidneys healthy?

Living a healthy lifestyle is important for kidney health. Medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol can lead to kidney disorders. You can reduce your risk of developing these conditions. Some ways are:
  • Eat a healthy diet.
  • Drink enough water.
  • Control your weight.
  • Don't smoke.
  • Exercise regularly.
Also, be careful with medications. Some may affect your kidneys. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen, can cause kidney damage if you use them regularly for a long time.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
When the mercury starts to dip, warm up your insides with an all-bean chili. Your kidneys will be happier. Why? Because all beans means no meat -- an...
Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
What is the urinary system?
The urinary system includes the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. This body system helps you re...
How does the bladder work?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The bladder is like a balloon—it’s small when empty, but as it fills with urine, it gets bigger and ...