How does clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) work?

Clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) is needed to help you empty your bladder if you couldn't do that on your own. Sometimes, the sphincter in the bladder doesn’t relax when it needs to, so the urine stays in your bladder. When your bladder gets too full, urine may be pushed back up to your kidneys, which can damage them. Sometimes, urine forces its way down, making you urinate when you’re not expecting it. Also, if urine stays in the bladder too long, this may cause an infection. To stop these things from happening, your bladder needs to be emptied regularly. That’s where CISC comes in.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

A Tangy Treat That's Good for Your Bladder
Here's a diet "do" that may help keep your bladder cancer-free. Start your day with some yogurt. Later, have some more for a snack. Compared with the...
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
When the mercury starts to dip, warm up your insides with an all-bean chili. Your kidneys will be happier. Why? Because all beans means no meat -- an...
How does the urinary system normally work?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
For normal urination, all parts of the urinary system must work together. Here is how the urinary sy...
How can I keep my kidneys healthy?
Living a healthy lifestyle is important for kidney health. Medical conditions such as diabetes, high...