Does clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) hurt?

Clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) shouldn't hurt, though it can seem strange at first. It gets easier with practice and soon it’ll only take a few minutes each time. People using CISC should talk to their doctor or nurse if they have a fever, if CISC is painful, or if urine is cloudy, smelly or has blood in it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

A Tangy Treat That's Good for Your Bladder
Here's a diet "do" that may help keep your bladder cancer-free. Start your day with some yogurt. Later, have some more for a snack. Compared with thei...
Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
Why are the kidneys so important to good health?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Your kidneys do some important jobs to keep your body healthy. They: Balance your body fluids. E...
What should I do if I have trouble urinating after abdominal surgery?
Northside HospitalNorthside Hospital
Urination trouble after abdominal surgery is quite common because of the anesthesia used during surg...