What is a hair follicle?

A hair follicle is the sac that contains the root portion of a single human hair. It is connected to a gland that produces oil called sebum.  A hair follicle can get clogged, leading to skin problems. This animation tells you more about hair follicles and your skin.

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Of course you care how your hair looks. Who doesn't? Ever since humans emerged from caves, we've used our hair to broadcast two messages: "I'm healthy...
Can wearing a tight ponytail cause my hair to fall out?
Wearing a tight ponytail, especially over long periods of time, could potentially lead to hair l...
What can I do if my hair is greasy and oily?
As women age, their hair may become more oily or greasy. Get to the root of this hair complaint ...
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?