What causes excessive hair growth?

Humans have a love-hate relationship with hair. Everyone loves long lashes or a lush head of hair, but no one wants a unibrow. Excess hair is actually a medical condition called hirsutism, and it primarily affects women. It can cause unwanted hair growth in places typically reserved for men like the lip, chin, chest, and back. Hirsutism is principally caused by too much of the hormone testosterone, and may be caused by a number of medical conditions.

Testosterone levels can become elevated by polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), a hormonal disorder that affects about one in 15 women. It causes a range of reproductive problems in women of childbearing age. But hormones, like testosterone, can also be affected by tumors of the adrenal glands or ovaries. A blood test can measure levels of hormones to help pinpoint the hairy offender.

Hypertrichosis is a different hair growth problem that is not dependent on hormones. It is caused by faulty genes or problems with metabolism. People with anorexia, a serious eating disorder, and hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, sometimes get hypertrichosis.

If you suspect that you have pesky hairs shooting up in unwanted (and unusual) places, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Is Your Hair Falling Out? This Condition May Be to Blame
There are roughly 150,000 hair follicles on your head, and it’s normal to lose around 50 to 150 strands of hair a day. More than that could indicate a...
Why do we have hair?
Our body hair protects us from the sun as well as from bugs and dust, acts as a lubricant and serves...
Why does my hair smell like smoke after being around smokers?
Why does my hair smell like smoke after being around smokers? Your hair the stink from the air, and ...
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?