What can be used to stimulate hair growth in women?

One common treatment for stimulating hair growth is a topical solution called minoxidil. When applied twice a day to the scalp, it has been shown to stimulate hair growth in about 60 percent of women who have hereditary hair loss, and it also helps to stop further hair loss, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. In some women, treatment with topical or injectable cortisone, or the oral medications spironolactone or flutamide, may be recommended instead of or in addition to minoxidil.

Hair transplant procedures, in which sections of hair follicles are moved from areas of dense hair on the scalp to areas where hair is sparse, may also be recommended to create new hair growth in some women. Consult your doctor or dermatologist about the best options for you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Of course you care how your hair looks. Who doesn't? Ever since humans emerged from caves, we've used our hair to broadcast two messages: "I'm healthy...
What foods should I eat for healthy hair?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Your hair will look its best when you nourish it well. That means eating a diet that feeds your hair...
How does hair grow?
Hair goes through its own growth cycle that's unrelated to seasons or hormones or anything else. It'...
Should You Wash Your Hair Every Day?
Should You Wash Your Hair Every Day?