How can I test whether my hair is healthy?

Your outer beauty often reflects your inner health, and that's especially true when it comes to hair. I recommend a 10-second hair test to see if yours is healthy. Grab some hair, about as much as you would put in a straw. Grab it at the very bottom, right where it comes off the scalp, and pull up. Now look at how many hairs you have in your hand. A straw amount of hair is about 60 hairs. If you're pulling out more than six hairs, then you're starting to lose hair a little rapidly.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
How many hairs do I lose a day?
On an average, you lose 50 to 200 hairs a day. Any guess as to when we have the most hair follicles?...
How do stem cells in a hair follicle work?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Housed inside the hair follicle are stem cells, "pluripotential" cells that have the capacity to dev...
Why Do Some People Get Hair In Their Nose and Ears?