How can I protect my curly hair from damage?

You can keep your curly hair looking healthy and free from damage by using styling tools carefully and choosing products formulated for your hair type. If you use chemical relaxers on your hair, don't use them more than once every six weeks, and be sure to keep your hair well hydrated in between by using conditioning shampoos and conditioners.

If you don't use chemical relaxers but occasionally want a straight look to your hair, using hair rollers and drying your hair with a hood dryer may be less likely to cause breakage than using a curling iron or flat iron, which exposes the hair to direct heat. If you want to maintain your curly look but have a little more manageability, look for styling products that contain glycerin or silicone which can keep the hair well hydrated and protected and reduce frizz.

Since hair is weaker when it is wet, if your hair isn't too oily, it may be best to wash it every few days rather than daily to minimize breakage. Consult your dermatologist for more tips on keeping your curly hair healthy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
How does hair health affect the body?
Hair health does not have much affect on your body. Instead, when you suffer from poor hair health, ...
What foods should I eat for healthy hair?
It's one of the maddening ironies of aging: Hair gets thinner where we want it—on our heads—and star...
Why Do Some People Get Hair In Their Nose and Ears?