How many hairs does the average person have on their head?

If you're counting, you either have very little hair or are in a desperate need for a hobby. The average person's head has up to 150,000 hair follicles (the entire adult body has 5 million). That number is constant over a lifetime; it's hereditary, so only the thickness of your hair, its condition, and whether you lose the actual strands that come from those follicles can change.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

What foods should I eat for healthy hair?
It's one of the maddening ironies of aging: Hair gets thinner where we want it—on our heads—and star...
Why does hair get oily?
Hair gets oily as the result of sebum excretion from the sebaceous glands. These glands are found mo...
How do stem cells in a hair follicle work?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Housed inside the hair follicle are stem cells, "pluripotential" cells that have the capacity to dev...
How can I protect my curly hair from damage?
You can keep your curly hair looking healthy and free from damage by using styling tools careful...