What does my hair reflect about me?

In addition to its utilitarian functions, hair reflects a lot about our self-esteem, taste, gender, age, and attitude. It also plays a major role in how we're attracted and become attractive to other people In fact, women's hair is considered so sexually provocative that in many cultures it is concealed after marriage for fear of inciting uncontrollable desires. In the first century, a married Roman woman could be divorced for uncovering her head. To this day, Muslim women and orthodox Jewish women, once married, cover their hair with a kerchief or scarf, or wear a wig.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
What foods should I eat for healthy hair?
It's one of the maddening ironies of aging: Hair gets thinner where we want it—on our heads—and star...
How does hair grow?
Hair growth consists of three distinct phases. The growth phase, or anagen, typically lasts from 3-6...
Why Do Some People Get Hair In Their Nose and Ears?