How many hairs do I lose a day?

The average person loses an average of 50 to 100 hairs from the head every day. You have about 100,000 scalp hairs that follow a predictable cycle of growing (anagen phase), stopping growth (catagen phase) and resting (telogen phase). It is when hairs are in a resting phase that they eventually fall out. At any one time, about 90 percent of your scalp hairs are in a growing stage.

On an average, you lose 50 to 200 hairs a day. Any guess as to when we have the most hair follicles? Age 18, you say? Bzzzz, try again. It's when we're in week 22 as a fetus; that's the largest number we'll ever have, since we don't generate new follicles as we age.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
How can I test whether my hair is healthy?
Your outer beauty often reflects your inner health, and that's especially true when it comes to hair...
How many hairs does the average person have on their head?
If you're counting, you either have very little hair or are in a desperate need for a hobby. The ave...
What Happens When You Skip Shampoo for a Week