How many hairs do I lose a day?

The average person loses an average of 50 to 100 hairs from the head every day. You have about 100,000 scalp hairs that follow a predictable cycle of growing (anagen phase), stopping growth (catagen phase) and resting (telogen phase). It is when hairs are in a resting phase that they eventually fall out. At any one time, about 90 percent of your scalp hairs are in a growing stage.

On an average, you lose 50 to 200 hairs a day. Any guess as to when we have the most hair follicles? Age 18, you say? Bzzzz, try again. It's when we're in week 22 as a fetus; that's the largest number we'll ever have, since we don't generate new follicles as we age.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
8 Top Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Of course you care how your hair looks. Who doesn't? Ever since humans emerged from caves, we've used our hair to broadcast two messages: "I'm healthy...
How can I have a healthy scalp and hair?
Less is more when caring for your hair and scalp. Excessive hair brushing and styling, dying, pe...
What is hair health?
Just like the rest of your body, your hair can be healthy or unhealthy. Your hair grows in cycles, w...
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?