Why is a day of rest important?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
The practice of the Sabbath, or a day of rest, is part of all major world religions. The Sabbath is not just a story about God needing rest; it is meant to teach us to rest. The Talmud teaches that honoring the Sabbath equalizes rich and poor, gives us time to evaluate our work to see if it is good; and gives us leisure to contemplate the meaning of life.

When we take time away from work, our work ceases to define us, and artificial measures of status fall away as we see we share common spaces and activities with people from all walks of life. When we take time to contemplate our work and our role in the world, we readjust our internal compasses as we travel the road of an intentional life. And when we stop to explore our role in the big picture, we renew our energy and connection to the Divine. Leisure engages the heart and stretches the soul.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Ask Oz and Roizen: Maternal Obesity and Teen Vaping
Q: My sister is having a baby and has been gaining weight. She has struggled with weight control in the past. How can I help her implement healthier h...
What are the health risks of sitting for long periods of time?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Sitting for long periods of time can harm you in seven ways: Head: Sitting for long periods of t...
10 Bad Habits That Age You
10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You
Avoid these everyday mistakes that can make your RealAge older.
Who Is Responsible for Your Wellness?
Who Is Responsible for Your Wellness?