Why are habits instinctive?

Kate Myerson

I agree, habits feel instinctive because they have become so ingrained in our routine. Fortunately we can change habits with focus and practice. For example, maybe I am a fast eater because I learned this habit as a child, I can slow down but it is not going to happen overnight. It is going to take reminding myself everyday to slow down until that habit becomes routine. 

Habits only feel instinctive or like "second nature" because of well-used communication pathways in the brain. Habits essentially are behavior patterns that become worn in the brain like ruts in a dirt road. As the brain communicates the body's actions, impulses fire across the synapses, or spaces between cells. When a behavior is repeated often enough, the pathways associated with communicating that pattern get used to being accessed, making it easier for the impulses to travel. That's why a morning routine of jogging, showering and having breakfast feels automatic after a few weeks. That's also what makes habits hard to break: Once those behavior pathways are established, they never disappear. Even if they aren't accessed in a while, they can be reactivated easily.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Leading the Fight Against Lead Pollution
A Reuters investigation found 449 areas (that’s 3,300 neighborhoods!) around the US with lead exposure rates that are double those found in Flint, Mic...
How can I stick to a changed good habit?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Part of what people have to ask themselves is, even though a habit might be a good habit what does t...
6 Healthy Life Hacks
6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks
Just because you’re pressed for time, doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Here are some tips and tricks to make being healthy easier.
What Are Ways to Help People Make Healthy Choices?