What is cognitive journaling?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Journaling about your feelings with the intent of identifying the irrational, negative or distorted thoughts and perceptions that accompany them is called cognitive journaling. Cognitive journaling helps you identify and revise your distorted perceptions and irrational thoughts. Follow these cognitive journaling steps and see if they help. This whole process can be considered one of keeping an "emotional accounting" of your life. This is as important as keeping your checkbook balanced! Maybe more important!

1. Every time you feel depressed, anxious or conflicted, write down your emotional response: depressed, angry, sad, afraid, frustrated, hopeless and so on.

2. Try to identify the thoughts that precede or accompany your emotional reaction.

3. Next, identify the irrational component, negative distortion or illogical part of the thought.

4. Now breathe, reflect and choose a rational response to the automatic negative thoughts. Write the rational response down.

5. Lastly, revisit the initial emotional or physical reaction you had and see if the intensity has decreased, increased or stayed the same.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection: 8 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functiona (The Mind-Body Connection Series)

One in five people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, or other functional bowel disorders. As a result, irritable bowel syndrome is the second leading cause of worker absenteeism. This...

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Ward Off Disease By Forming Healthy Habits Today
It’s estimated that 90 to 95 percent of cancers have their roots in environment and lifestyle, about 80 percent of people with diabetes are overweight...
What should I do if I have an apple body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you’re an apple shape, it just means you have to be more diligent about making smart lifestyle ch...
6 Easy Ways to Start Practicing Self-Care Today
6 Easy Ways to Start Practicing Self-Care Today6 Easy Ways to Start Practicing Self-Care Today6 Easy Ways to Start Practicing Self-Care Today6 Easy Ways to Start Practicing Self-Care Today
Start a compliment file, make a “no” list and other simple ways to take care of yourself.
How Can I Get Energized at the Start the Day?