How should I teach my child to cover a sneeze?

Bet you didn't know that the contents of a sneeze travel at roughly ninety-five miles per hour. That's what we call high-speed snot. While most people use their hands to cover the contents, that doesn't help a whole lot in decreasing germ transmission if said sneezer goes on to touch Bubby's chubby cheeks a few minutes later. Please, for all of our sakes, teach your child to use the crook of his elbow to cover his nose and mouth when he coughs or sneezes. Instruct him to throw out tissues -- and immediately wash his hands! -- rather than stuffing them in a pocket to be reused later, because germs will stay on tissues for two to six hours. In this case, we'd prefer that your youngster not save a tree in order to stop germs from spreading.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

4 Ways to Grow 12 Years Younger
4 Ways to Grow 12 Years Younger
Turn back the clock a whopping 12 years with just four simple but super-important habits: Kick butts, booze, junk food, and couch surfing to the curb....
Can my unhealthy habits affect my genes?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Nature versus nurture is an important debate in both psychology and adoption, my two careers. I ...
10 Bad Habits That Age You
10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You
Avoid these everyday mistakes that can make your RealAge older. Who doesn’t want to look and feel younger? But there’s a chance that the decisions you...
What Healthy Lifestyle Changes Are People Most Willing to Make?