Should I change my behavior in order to stop being too nice at work?

Karen R Koenig

A word here about consequences of changing behavior at work versus with friends or family. Because you’re paid for what you do, you do have to be a wee bit cautious about how you approach de-nicing yourself. Your employers are not like your friends or family - if your brother doesn’t speak to you for a year, so what; if you lose a friend, you’ll find another. But the consequences of changing behavior at work are generally more serious. I don’t want you to lose your job. If you decide on your own that it’s too stressful or doesn’t bring out your best qualities, well, good for you. Move on. But until you make the decision that you’re out of there, take change slowly.

Try on new behavior gradually; talk to a friendly boss or supervisor about how best to go about standing up for yourself. Let people know that you’re trying to be more up front and solicit feedback from people you trust. Go slowly and take baby steps. Find someone outside your job to use as a support, a person who doesn’t have a stake in how things go at work or in you acting one way over another. Give yourself time to change and notice how you feel about you: If you’re feeling better and better about yourself and have more pride and confidence, you’re moving in the right direction, no matter what anyone else says.

Sometimes when you assert yourself at work, people will start to treat you differently. You’ll notice some being cold and standoffish and others showing you more respect, including not violating your personal boundaries. It may take them a while if they have a stake in you being Ms. Nice, but give them time to get used to the new you and see how the dust settles.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Healthy Snacks for Your Desk Drawer
I’ve been an athlete my entire life. Whether I was dancing, running cross-country or playing soccer, I was always on the move. Being so active meant t...
How can I live simply?
Living simply can get you thinner and out of debt. In this video, Suze Orman and I will discuss the ...
5 Ways Nature Keeps You Healthy, According to Research
5 Ways Nature Keeps You Healthy, According to Research5 Ways Nature Keeps You Healthy, According to Research5 Ways Nature Keeps You Healthy, According to Research5 Ways Nature Keeps You Healthy, According to Research
The great outdoors is great for your health.
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes