What should I do to live a healthy life?

We all need to pay more attention to how we are living our lives, and how we keep ourselves healthy. This obviously starts with how we eat.

Shop around the outside of the grocery store where the actual food is. Everything in the middle of the store comes in a box and has ingredients you probably can’t pronounce.

Remember to move every day. You don’t need to join the gym and pump iron, but you should move. Simply walking everyday can improve your risk for heart attack and stroke. 
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
The biggest tip I can give you is to keep your weight under control. Second, stay active. Get at least 30 minutes of activity every day, even if it’s something as simple as walking. Exercise leads to a strong, lean body, and ultimately a longer life. Finally, know your numbers. Staying on top of the tests and screenings you're supposed to have can help you catch diseases, such as cancer and heart disease, before they become too serious to treat. The five numbers I think you should know are your weight, waist size, blood pressure, cholesterol and fasting blood sugar.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Here are some healthy living rules to live by:

• Treat the planet as you want it to treat you—love fresh blueberries? Indeed they are quite a treat, but if we don't choose organic blueberries, we contribute to soil conditions that may mean blueberries won't be around as a treat in the future. Organic saves water and protects the nutrient density of our food.
  • Health gain vs. weight loss—there are lots of ways to lose weight that compromise health (poor quality 'diet foods', chemotherapy, skipping meals) but when you focus on health gain (organic food, portion control, better sleep habits) your weight loss will be one of the benefits as well.
  • Eat food vs. food products: our bodies know what to do with food but they get confused, overwhelmed and irritated by preservatives, chemicals and processing that offers them food in forms they don't recognize.
  • Be pro-choice, it's healthier for you. When we make choices about what we eat and drink—I choose the chocolate over the wine and the cheese—we enjoy our choice and feel empowered as opposed to deprived.
Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

Each of us was born as a natural, organic being. We, like the plants and animals, have basic natural tendencies that are often thrown off balance by the craziness of modern life. The traditions of Yoga and Ayurveda teach us that by relieving imbalances in the body like illness and disease as well as imbalances of the mind like stress and emotional turmoil, we can live better, healthier lives. Here, in a state of greater balance, we find peace.

To live a healthier life, begin with resolving issues in the body. Eat simple, whole foods that have been grown locally and not processed or packaged (i.e. eat fruits, vegetables, and simple grains instead of frozen foods/meals, packaged convenience foods, and soft drinks). Drink hot water first thing in the morning instead of coffee. Refrain from eating the last four or five hours before you go to bed. Eat only until your stomach is half full. Even if you were to follow just these few basic guidelines, your whole body would start to rally around the changes that begin to take place.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Guidelines for Lowering Blood Pressure and Screening for Prostate Cancer
Q: My doc says that if I don’t bring my blood pressure down I am going to have to take anti-hypertensive medications. I hate taking pills, so what sho...
How does watching TV affect a person's health?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
A study has recorded the television viewing habits and leisure-time physical activity levels of abou...
6 Healthy Life Hacks
6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks
Just because you’re pressed for time, doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Here are some tips and tricks to make being healthy easier.
Is It Bad for My Health to Eat Lunch At My Computer?