How can I improve my self-worth?

Many of our feelings of self-worth stem from the messages we were given as children (both positive and negative) and the messages we give ourselves as adults. One way to boost your feelings of self-worth is to give yourself affirming and positive messages. Recognize your good qualities and give yourself a break, even if no one else does.

It is much easier to meet life’s challenges with a healthy dose of self-esteem. You do better in your work, studies, and personal relationships. And you are more likely to go after what you want out of life when you feel good about yourself.

Tips for Boosting Self-Esteem

• When you are feeling good about yourself, write down a list of all your strengths and positive qualities. Include things you are especially good at doing.
  • When someone compliments you, add it to the list.
  • If you have trouble coming up with things to put on the list, ask those around you who like and love you. Often your friends and family are quicker to recognize your strengths than you might be.
  • On days when you are feeling down, take out the list and remind yourself of what a great person you are.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How to Make a Healthy Habit Stick
How to Make a Healthy Habit Stick
In the movie Stranger than Fiction, Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) discovers he’s the protagonist in a novel—and the voice he’s been hearing in his head ...
Why should I monitor my progress when changing health habits?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
The tendency to discount the power of monitoring is something we see all the time. Keeping a close w...
7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters
7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters
They have nothing to do with what you eat—or how much.  While our eating habits are influenced by biology and genetics, they're also shaped by factors...
Should Everyone Be Monitoring Their Health?