How can I stay healthy if I work from home?

About 30 million Americans work from home at least once a week, and that number is expected to keep going up. While this is great news for busy women who need more flexible schedules, it could present some challenges to your health if you're not careful.

Consider these ways to stay healthy while you're working from home:
  • Set a schedule. Think of your work-from-home hours the same way you do office hours. Choose a start time, lunch break and finish time. Stick to them as closely as possible so you can maintain a healthy work-life balance.
  • Get up and move. Get up and stretch your body between periods of sitting. Stand up and walk around during conference calls or take an occasional break to stroll around the house, do a few stretches or lift some light hand weights. If you need to, set a timer to help you remember.
  • Stock up on healthy snacks and drinks. You might be tempted to eat whatever unhealthy foods you have in your kitchen when you're working from home, but don't do it. Instead, pack a bag full of healthy snacks as if you're headed into the office. Keep a water bottle handy to sip from throughout the day.
  • Plan a workout. The good thing about working from home is that your schedule is a bit more flexible. That means you can choose when to get in a good workout. Don't forget to get a good one in, whether it's before work, on your lunch break or after the work day is over.
  • Give your eyes a rest. It's not healthy for your eyes to be glued to a computer screen all day. Make time during every hour spent on your computer to close your eyes for a few minutes or look at something else to make sure you're not straining them.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Surprising News About Alcohol Consumption and Gallstone Treatment
Q: It’s now being reported that there’s no amount of alcohol consumption that’s good for you. I thought it was good for the heart to have one or two g...
Is a loud, blaring TV a health hazard?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about health hazards.
6 Healthy Life Hacks
6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks
Just because you’re pressed for time, doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Here are some tips and tricks to make being healthy easier.
What Is the Key to a Healthy Lifestyle?
What Is the Key to a Healthy Lifestyle?