How can I sit less during the day?

To sit less during the day, you need to get yourself up and moving around, even if that means setting an alarm for a break, or doing exercises in your chair. Watch as fitness specialist Donovan Green explains how even fidgeting can burn calories.
How can I sit less during the day?
Moving more is tough, since lots of what you have to do or want to do involves sitting. But breaking up endless time on your bum, even for a few minutes, breaks up the bad body effects. Key enzymes move, blood flows, mind and muscles flex. This is all it takes:
  • Get up and move at least every 30 minutes. Get more water or coffee or a banana or the mail. Cruise the hallways. Pace when you're on the phone. Stand and stretch. (Just standing or even fidgeting helps.)
  • Go ahead, watch your favorite shows. Just don't sit there. Cook, fold laundry, empty the dishwasher, get up and dance to the theme music, ride a stationary bike (replace the couch with one).
  • Is the TV thing that important? You bet. This research also just came in: Staring at the tube for an average of six hours a day (versus none) shortens your life by 5 to 10 years.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits