How can I schedule the essentials of healthy living into my day?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Make your schedule specific - listing when, where, and how you plan to sleep, eat, exercise, and socialize. You should set the following goals for healthy living:

Meals
  • Make time to sit down for a meal - preferably with others
  • Plan to consume your calories during meal time and not in between meals
  • If you need a snack, have a large glass of water plus fresh fruit or crunchy vegetables

Exercise
  • Plan to exercise a total of 150 minutes of moderate intensity, aerobic exercise (like brisk walking or hiking) each week
  • Try to exercise about 30 minutes per day, at least five days per week
  • Don't try to do all of your exercise in one long session
  • Vary your exercise so you don't get bored
  • Keep yourself well hydrated

Sleep
  • 10 hours nightly if you're a pre-teen child
  • 9 hours per night if you're a teenager
  • 7-8 hours per night if you're an adult
  • Consider including one 30-minute, mid-afternoon nap each day

Socialize
  • Plan encounters with family, friends, and strangers
  • Take advantage of unexpected opportunities to connect with others in your community
  • Use Boo - your dog as an icebreaker
  • Take advantage of socializing opportunities during scheduled meals and exercise to interact with others
After making a schedule - chart your progress.
Fit As Fido: Follow Your Dog to Better Health

Let your dog teach you to live a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life! Companionship with your pet can be used as a means and a motivator to increase your own physical and mental fitness....

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Risk Prevention: Noise Pollution and Lymphatic Cancers
Q: We live in NYC and the traffic noise has gotten so bad, it keeps us up at night. This can’t be good for us or the kids. What can we do? —Lucy G., N...
What kind of jobs help me stay young?
In general, the more freedom of action you have in a job -- that is, the more control you have i...
6 Healthy Life Hacks
6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks
Just because you’re pressed for time, doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Here are some tips and tricks to make being healthy easier.
Is It Important To Take Ownership of Our Health?