How can I instill healthy behaviors in my child?

Children learn by watching other people—especially their parents. Set an early example for them by taking the time to eat healthy, exercise and rest well. A common problem is that parents want the best for their kids, but they make different choices for themselves because it is easier. Don’t make separate meals for different members of the family, and encourage eating together. Food choices, eating behavior and habits that we see in adults are directly related to what we were exposed as a child. Parents have the power to shape those patterns by making healthy lifestyle choices for their family and children early.

Parents should agree what type of lifestyle goals they want to instill in their family while prioritizing their own health needs. Raising healthy, happy kids requires a well-planned strategy to which everyone commits. There are several ways to include everyone in healthy activities on a regular basis—take the dog for a walk after dinner, ride your bikes together (with helmets, of course!) or just play catch in the yard. Another avenue to spend time together, while instilling the values of healthy nutrition, is to start a backyard garden. This will not only be fun for everyone, but will ensure easy access to fresh vegetables.

Instilling healthy habits and maintaining them as a lifestyle is actually pretty easy and manageable when done with the proper amount of planning and commitment. A simple first step is cooking at home and eating meals as a family, leading into spending quality time in the evening after the hustle and bustle of the day is over.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Is Too Much Tech Making You Sick?
Is Too Much Tech Making You Sick?
It seems smart phones and social media have become not only ubiquitous, but also indispensable. Being constantly plugged in to your personal tech may ...
Why is it important to nip unhealthy habits in the bud?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
As you strive to make health-enhancing course corrections, it's worthwhile to look at unhealthy ...
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
Some of these lifestyle tweaks could add more than a decade to your life expectancy.
Is Drinking From the Milk Carton a Health Hazard to My Family?