How can I get over my fear of taking risks?

Accept failure as an option. Failure is always a possibility when taking a risk, but success is also a possibility. You have to be willing to face both. One of my favorite quotes is "life rewards action," because so often we think and dream about things, but we don’t actually take a step toward what we want.

Try to identify what is holding you back from taking a risk, and then take action -- even if it’s small. So, if your goal is to jump out of an airplane, that first step may be to ride with someone to see them do it. Or, if you want to travel abroad, your first step may be to set up a separate account to save money for the trip.

It’s also important to surround yourself with people who support and encourage you and who take risks in their own lives.

The process of taking risks can take a long time or be immediate. The important thing is that you’re moving toward it. One last thing: Be willing to look silly. When you try anything new, you’re going to look foolish and that’s okay. Get over it and do it anyway!

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Finding, Forgiving and Holding on to Hope
On an everyday basis we use the word hope fairly casually. We say, “I hope that it’s sunny tomorrow” or “I hope you have a nice day.” But when we feel...
What should I do if I have an apple body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you’re an apple shape, it just means you have to be more diligent about making smart lifestyle ch...
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
Give your health a boost by spring cleaning all the spaces in your life.
Sit Pretty: Avoid Pain With an Ergonomic Workstation