How can I create a relaxing home environment?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
While we can't always get away to the white sand beaches and relax, we can create a bit of sanctuary right in our own homes to soothe our senses and melt away stress. Environmental psychologists studying sensory science believe that the environment you create can have a profound impact on your mood and attitude. The following are ways to turn your home into your sanctuary:
  • Make your space touchable with corduroy and fleece. In studies, these fabrics made subjects feel content.
  • De-clutter your open spaces. Chaos makes you anxious, so the more you organize your space, the calmer you will feel. Literally, out of sight is out of mind.
  • Green up with plants and views outside to lower your blood pressure.
  • Use jasmine, hyacinth, cinnamon, and peppermint scents to lower stress and boost your mood.
  • Fill the room with music. Your ears know the difference between noise and sound.
  • Make your room roomy. Use mirrors, minimize furniture, and light the ceiling to expand the feel of your room.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How Helping Others Will Help Your Health
In 2009, two British moms lifted a 1.1 ton truck off a boy who was run over in the street; he survived. In 2012, a 22-year-old woman lifted a car off ...
How can I help my child live a heart-healthy life?
Mark Sklansky, MDMark Sklansky, MD
Most children are born with healthy hearts. By making small lifestyle choices to encourage healthier...
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
Some of these lifestyle tweaks could add more than a decade to your life expectancy.
How Do You Encourage Engagement?
How Do You Encourage Engagement?