How can I create a relaxing home environment?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
While we can't always get away to the white sand beaches and relax, we can create a bit of sanctuary right in our own homes to soothe our senses and melt away stress. Environmental psychologists studying sensory science believe that the environment you create can have a profound impact on your mood and attitude. The following are ways to turn your home into your sanctuary:
  • Make your space touchable with corduroy and fleece. In studies, these fabrics made subjects feel content.
  • De-clutter your open spaces. Chaos makes you anxious, so the more you organize your space, the calmer you will feel. Literally, out of sight is out of mind.
  • Green up with plants and views outside to lower your blood pressure.
  • Use jasmine, hyacinth, cinnamon, and peppermint scents to lower stress and boost your mood.
  • Fill the room with music. Your ears know the difference between noise and sound.
  • Make your room roomy. Use mirrors, minimize furniture, and light the ceiling to expand the feel of your room.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Worst Case Scenario: I Sat on Pee!
Worst Case Scenario: I Sat on Pee!
Does this sound familiar? While rushing to answer an urgent call of nature, you plop down on a public toilet seat without looking at it first and yuck...
How Is Achieving a Healthy Lifestyle Taught In Medical School?
What Can I Do to Positively Change My Health Destiny?
What Are the Benefits and Risks of an Ice Bath?