How can we combat boredom?

A study found that people who tried to alleviate their boredom through brief distractions, such as work breaks or doing laundry, soon were bored again. However, people who engaged with other people, meditated, or simply accepted their boredom experienced more success.

Finding new hobbies or interests and exercise also have been shown to decrease boredom. A study of teenagers found that those who have strong interests had a higher degree of overall well-being and significantly higher self-esteem than bored teenagers.

When you are searching for something to relieve your boredom, psychologist recommend you find something that has both challenge and an optimal amount of ease - such as hitting a tennis ball back and forth. It requires more agility and skill than tedious tasks but also is accomplished at a low enough intensity to give you a sense of accomplishment.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Wean Yourself Off Your Smartphone
Wean Yourself Off Your Smartphone
In an episode of The Office, Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) prank Andy (Ed Helms) by hiding his phone in the ceiling, then calling it so...
How can I schedule the essentials of healthy living into my day?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Make your schedule specific - listing when, where, and how you plan to sleep, eat, exercise, and...
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
Give your health a boost by spring cleaning all the spaces in your life.
How Can I Get Energized at the Start the Day?