How can joining a book club improve my health?

Building brain power and making social connections delivers a double dose of “I feel healthy and happy!”  In fact, mental aerobics plus active friendships is more than a sum of 2. Together they equal 5 (five emotional and physical health benefits, that is). The combo of using mental power and talking with friends reduces stress levels, boosts serotonin (the feel-happier and have-less-pain brain chemical) levels, grows brain connections, reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease, and protects your heart.

For those looking to ramp up a later-in-life style, a group of good pals to hang out and discuss books with doubles your chance of avoiding various disabilities and more than doubles the time you can continue to manage everything from meals to meds. Bonus: It turns out you can grow new brain cells (we used to think there were only a set number and they died off throughout life). More perks: Getting wrapped up in almost any extracurricular group activity sends blood pressure down and immunity and fun up.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How to Curb Child Migraine Pain and Bacteria
Q: My nine-year-old son was in bed with a headache and vomiting. Our doc thinks he may have had a migraine. How is that possible? And if that’s true, ...
How can other people's success help me reach my health goals?
If you're finding it tough to lose weight, lower your blood pressure or reach another health goa...
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
Some of these lifestyle tweaks could add more than a decade to your life expectancy. Go online and you can find hundreds of tips and tricks all claimi...
How Do I Quit Drinking Diet Soda?
How Do I Quit Drinking Diet Soda?